Tuesday, November 29, 2011

2007: Getting a Little More Creative

It looks like I only have pictures from Easter and my birthday this year. I was definitely spending more time skating and less time in the kitchen; my how things have changed in just a short few years.

This 3D bunny was really simple to make, especially since I had a pan with two bunny halves and all I had to do was glue the cake together with some icing. Grandma's Pound Cake was the cake of choice for the bunny since it is a dense cake and would withstand being stood up. I remember using a paint brush to apply the buttercream, giving the bunny a fur-like texture. I had a lot of fun making this bunny :)


Along with the bunny came some cupcakes topped with colored coconut and jelly beans; a must for Easter. 


Choo-choo-train cakes have been a tradition in our family for decades. My grandmother always made a choo-choo-train cake for my father's birthday and soon my sister and I were getting them for our birthdays too. Sometimes we received train wrecks; especially if my mom helped. A few times they "ran" off the counter-top and sometimes they just weren't put together well. No matter how pretty they looked, they always tasted yummy.


The train cakes my grandmother made for my dad were never as colorful as the one pictured above, but always had at least a car or two and a caboose. I made this train cake for my birthday and decided to make it very colorful. I used random candies we had in the house and I think it turned out pretty cute.


I also made this flowery cake for my birthday that year. At this point I had no clue how to make edible flowers, so I used real ones to decorate this cake. After I made this cake, I was determined to learn how to make flowers out of fondant and gum paste; and a short time after this, I did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment